Good Ole American Potato Salad
I got inspired this 4th of July to make a good ole American potato salad as part of the day’s festivities. It’s so easy to make with fresh ingredients rather than buying the pre-made grocery store stuff. The original inspiration came from my mother-in-law’s recipe. The recipe below yields about 8 -10 servings.
- 2 ½ pounds of potatoes (preferably new potatoes or red skinned potatoes which have less starch and more sugars which them better for boiling vs. russet/baking potatoes which are higher in starch and are better for mashed or baked potatoes.
- 2 hard-boiled eggs diced
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup of sugar
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ of a medium/large white or Vidalia onion grated
- 2 stalks of celery finely diced
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- Paprika for on top when serving
- Wash the potatoes and boil with skins on. Let cool.
- Peel potatoes
- Slice or cube potatoes and place in bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the paprika.
- Gently mix together.
- Make salt and pepper corrections.
- Serve and sprinkle the top with Paprika.
- The American Flag on top is optional.
Happy 4th of July!